Tuesday 6 March 2012

Solutions for Other Ability Access

UPDATE: Just for fun, I added 5 themes for the geeky gamers out there. However, not all fonts are capable of being increased in size on the CSS side of things. This means you might have to use CTRL+ to get the size more readable. Sorry! This is also why certain fonts I did not use.

Update Number 2: As people ask for a specific theme, the "Just for Fun" themes will be changed,  per my original plan. 

Great News! My website now has new accessibility features so that those of you who need greater contrast will now have it on ALL pages. A cookie will remember your choice. However, I need to change the code on all of my pages so that your choice will be reflected across the website. This may take some time - and should be finished by March 12th, 2012.
NOTE: Liking me in Google and in Facebook WILL NEVER accommodate colour processing issues because they are ignorant and think you do not exist in such a high enough numbers where they need to be bothered by you. I do NOT like to support such companies, but find I do not have a choice. My apologies! 

Now, the other stuff:
1) Jaws Users: Please contact me if you need my official website to be tweaked in order to better accommodate you.

2) If you need a certain colour combination, just comment to this post (or the other post mentioning this) and I will accommodate you ASAP.

3) Dyslexics and Sight Impaired:
   a) I do intend to record my website in the future so that you can hear the recipe instead of reading it.
   b) I might have found a solution for Dyslexic readers when trying to find the spice they need. It also works for the profoundly blind or sight impaired. Using raised Letters code, you can feel whether it is B for Sweet Basil, or C for Cayenne, or which ever code you use. A store for the blind should have these stickers available, or a stencil set and paper that can help you make your own. I have NOT tested this, but I think the theory might work. However, you have to close your eyes and train your brain to feel the difference. My theory is that we dyslexics do not have dyslexic touch, but only dyslexic sight or hearing when processing language. My own dyslexic symptoms have gone away, so I can not use myself as a guinea pig anymore. Sorry! However, when I can't find something, I do close my eyes and then try to find it, and usually find it that way. I do still have issues processing when I have to find something amongst many items. This is how I came up with this idea in the first place.

c) Font size can be increased by pressing CTRL and + keys on most browsers. 

4) Other Abilities: In the future, I intend to write a tutorial on how someone with one hand, might accomplish the various tasks required to create my recipes. This tutorial will include links to great websites that have good products that might work for you. I do recommend investing in a food processor and an electric can opener. Kitchen Aide is the number one brand out there for food processors. Look for this tutorial on this blog (and a link to it) on my website and in the labels on the right, sometime in 2013. I want to do much research first. I shall also at that time, research many other abilities and brain processing disorders to see what I can do to create recipes that work for these people as well. If you have any suggestions PLEASE comment and let me know! I am All Ears! :D Thanks! I greatly appreciate it!

5) This post will NEVER be considered old. So, do NOT worry about necromancing on my website, as I will read all comments ASAP no matter how old the post is, as I find that comments are never out dated. People always use search engines to find information that is often found only on older posts. I believe that these people deserve to be honoured with their questions answered. I will, however, try to update posts as new knowledge comes in. Also, because I do not want this website to become unwieldy, I will update old posts with new information where appropriate.

6) If my website does not work for you in one browser, try another browser. Firefox, Chrome and Safari are still the best browsers and considered the safest browsers to use. However, I am unaware if JAWS users are forced to use IE or not. Sorry! I thought Firefox and Chrome now works with JAWS, but I'll have to research this again, then make changes, if necessary (and if I can figure out which changes needs to be made).

No comments:

Post a Comment